Powered exclusively by 8th and 9th Generation Intel Core, Pentium Gold, and Celeron processors, the Republic of Gamers Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) LGA 1151 ATX Motherboard from ASUS is an intro-level motherboard for those looking to break into the ROG series. It features one-click overclocking, air and liquid cooling, Aura Sync illumination, ASUS SafeSlot, SupremeFX and Sonic Studio III, plus gaming connectivity that includes Gigabit Ethernet, LANGuard, dual M.2 slots, USB 3.1 Gen 2, Wi-Fi, and more. This motherboard is designed to fit in ATX sized cases, supports the LGA 1151 socket, the Intel Z390 chipset, and is compatible with Windows 10 (64-bit).
The ATX form factor of the Maximus XI Hero can support up to 64GB of DDR4 RAM over four dual-channel slots, or 16GB per slot at speeds of 4400 (OC), 4266 (OC) 4133 (OC), 4000 (OC), 3866 (OC), 3733 (OC), 3600 (OC), 3466 (OC), 3400 (OC), 3333 (OC), 3300 (OC), 3200 (OC), 3000 (OC), 2800 (OC), 2666, 2400, and 2133 MHz non-ECC unbuffered memory. For storage, there are six SATA III 6 Gb/s ports and two M.2 Socket 3 with M key, one of which supports type 2242, 2260, and 2280 PCIe 3.0 x4 and SATA SSDs, while the other supports type 2242, 2260, 2280, and 22110 PCIe 3.0 x4 SSDs. The Maximum XI Hero supports Intel Optane Memory and allows its storage to be configured as RAID 0, 1, 5, and 10.
There is also one USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C port (rear panel), three USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-A ports (rear panel), two USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A ports (rear panel), one USB 3.1 Gen 2 connector (front panel), plus more internal USB headers that support USB 3.1 Gen 1 and USB 2.0. For those looking to expand their system using PCIe, there are two PCIe 3.0 x16 slots (x16 or dual x8 or x8/x4/x4), one PCIe 3.0 x16 slot (x4 mode), and one PCIe 3.0 x1 slot.
For delivering sharp, clear graphics, this motherboard supports Intel HD Graphics with one HDMI output that supports a maximum resolution of 4096 x 2160 @ 30 Hz and one DisplayPort output that supports a maximum resolution of 4096 x 2304 @ 60 Hz. For users looking to take advantage of multi-GPUs, the Maximus XI Hero supports NVIDIA 2-Way SLI and AMD 3-Way CrossFireX technologies.
Using the ROG SupremeFX S1220 8-channel HD audio codec, the Maximus XI Hero can support audio with higher fidelity than standard controllers. Audio can also be output using the integrated five 3.5mm audio outputs or S/PDIF output. This motherboard is also equipped with features such as AI Overclocking, OptiMem II, a TurboV Processing Unit (TPU), an Energy Processing Unit (EPU), Fan Xpert 4, Digi+ Power Control, ASUS’ Turbo app, UEFI BIOS, dual-band Wi-Fi 5 (802.11) with MU-MIMO, Bluetooth 5.0, and more. This motherboard is protected by a limited 3-year warranty.
- Built for Overclocking
- By default, all of Coffee Lake’s major bus frequencies are derived from the same reference clock, limiting the control and flexibility needed to harness the full overclocking potential of the platform. The ROG Maximus XI Code features a dedicated onboard clock generator that supplies dynamic reference clocks to the CPU cores and major subdomains, giving you the freedom to coax more MHz of headroom from the system.
- DDR4 4400 MHz+
- Whether you’re gunning for high memory frequencies or tuning timings for the low latency, ROG Maximus XI Code provides the tools you need to exploit the Coffee Lake architecture’s full potential: carefully optimized trace pathways maintain signal integrity, and ROG firmware offers the necessary tweaks to ensure stability while maximizing memory performance. Load up with a high-density memory kit for heavy multitasking, or run a focused setup that delivers the bandwidth your favorite games and applications need.
- OptiMem II
- To provide Intel’s CPUs unfettered access to memory bandwidth, ASUS has reimagined motherboard trace routing from the ground up. Their OptiMem II tech carefully maps memory signal pathways across different PCB layers to reduce vias and also adds shielding zones that significantly reduce crosstalk. And to further enhance overclocking headroom for fully stacked memory configurations, they’ve employed a highly customized T-Topology layout that delivers time-aligned signaling.
- Cooler by Design – Comprehensive Cooling Zone
- The ROG Maximus XI Formula features comprehensive cooling controls, configurable via Fan Xpert 4 or the UEFI BIOS.
Multiple Temperature Sources
Each header can be set to monitor and react to three user-configurable thermal sensors, for workload based cooling. All easily managed by Fan Xpert 4 or UEFI.
A dedicated header that can supply over 3A to high-performance PWM or DC water pumps.
4-Pin PWN/DC Fan
Every onboard header supports auto-detection of PWM or DC fans. W_PUMP+ and AIO PUMP are also PWM/DC controllable.
Fan Extension Header
Allows expansion of three additional DC or PWM fan headers, plus three thermal-probe headers.
A dedicated integrated circuit that protects each fan header from over-temperature and over-current.
Allows for monitoring of temperature at the input/out of any component.
Allows for constant monitoring of the flow rate of entire loop.
An All-In-One header that supports auto-detection of PWM, DC fans, and water pumps.
Control Your Rig
- Fast, intuitive control is vital for effective command of your rig, so ASUS has loaded the ROG Maximus XI Code with simple, flexible tools that let you tweak almost every aspect of the system. Enjoy intelligent automated tuning with 5-Way Optimization technology, or dive deep into the ROG UEFI BIOS to take full manual control. The ROG Maximus XI Code also makes short work of fine-tuning everything from audio to storage, so it’s easy to get every park of your system up to speed.
- AI Overclocking
- ASUS AI Overclocking makes automatic tuning faster and smarter than before. Available in Windows or directly through the UEFI BIOS, it profiles the CPU and cooling to predict the optimal configuration for each individual system.
ASUS created a proprietary algorithm that evaluates the capabilities of your processor.
The onboard intelligence also watches systems vitals like temperatures, fan speeds, and power draw to gauge cooling performance.
Utilizes onboard intelligence to perform automated clocking and provides target frequency and voltage estimations for veterans that prefer manual tuning.
- 5-Way Optimization
- Take care of complex tuning with just one click. ASUS 5-Way Optimization is a system-wide tuning utility that overclocks the processor and tunes fan speeds to ensure the best balance between cooling and acoustics. The automated CPU tuning feature of 5-Way Optimization leverages the same onboard intelligence as AI Overclocking, but goes further by running a Prime95-based stress test to deliver a result that’s well-tuned from the get-go.
TPU Insight The TurboV Processing Unit (TPU) Insight provides AI Suite 3 with the intelligence needed to automatically fine tune voltages, monitor system stats, and adjust overclocking.
The Energy Processing Unit (EPU) Guidance enables system-wide power efficiency, automatically optimizing consumption to maximize savings.
Fan Xpert 4
Enjoy comprehensive control over fans, water pumps, and all-in-one (AIO) coolers via either Fan Expert 4 or ASUS’ UEFI BIOS.
Digital Power Controls
The Digi+ Voltage Regulator Module (VRM) delivers real-time control over voltage droop, switching frequency and power efficiency settings, allowing you to fine tune CPU voltage regulation for stability and performance.
Intel’s processors feature per-core tuning, and the ASUS Turbo app makes use of this feature by letting you assign applications to specific processor cores, prioritizing computing power where it’s needed most.
- UEFI Bios
- The ROG UEFI (BIOS) provides everything you need to configure, tweak, and tune your rig. It offers intelligently simplified options for newcomers to PC DIY, as well as comprehensive features for seasoned veterans.
- EZ Mode
- Designed to simplify setup, EZ Mode presents vital settings and stats on a single page. With guided wizards, drag-and-drop functionality, and one-click application of important settings, your rig will be up and running quickly.
EZ Tuning Wizard
Streamline your RAID configuration for faster data retrieval and backups.
Intuitive Graphical Fan Control
Fine-tune individual fans simply by dragging a curve with the mouse.
View SATA port details for easy device recognition.
Fast Clock Adjustment
Use mouse controls to change the time and date.
Aura On/Off Mode (Stealth)
Easily enable or disable Aura RGB lighting or every onboard LED, for a more subdued aesthetic.
- Advanced Mode
- When you’re ready for a deeper dive into the configuration of your system, delve into the UEFI’s Advanced Mode and take complete control. Each section is intuitively organized, and a built-in search feature makes it easy to find the options you need. Advanced functions are coded with the intelligence to adapt to your settings, and when you’re ready to take charge, parameters have the granularity to dial in performance just the way you want. In Advanced Mode, you will find:
AI OC monitors system vitals like temperatures, fan speeds, and power draw to estimate overclocking performance.
Quickly find tuning options and add preferred tools to the list.
EZ Flash 3
Flash the latest BIOS via the internet from within the BIOS.
AI OC Guide
The AI OC Guide allows you to enable the AI Optimization or view a quick guide.
SMART Check your storage devices’ Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology logs to gauge reliability and to identify potential failures.
Automatically detect selected ASUS graphics cards to view detailed information.
Restore your SSDs to factory-fresh condition.
Last Modified Log
Track the latest changes and save preferred profiles onto a USB drive.
SATA Port Renaming
Rename SATA ports for easy identification.
Quickly and easily find the option or setting you’re looking for.
ASUS User Profile Port configuration settings between different BIOS versions or share them with friends.
- Immerse yourself in sound with SupremeFX audio technology. Utilizing the S1220 codec, SupremeFX is the integrated-audio solution that’s engineered to provide a flat frequency response for a neutral, detailed sound signature. And to ensure that pristine signature is well preserved, the front panel output is driven with dual op amps, delivering sonics with the scale and authority to create virtual worlds via your gaming headset.
- S1220 Codec
- 10 DAC channels, simultaneous 7.1 channel playback, independent 2.0-channel, multiple-stream stereo to front panel outputs.
- ESS SABRE9018Q2C DAC/Amp
- Creates a balance for audio clarity capable of -112 dB THD.
- Nichicon Caps
- Japanese-made components that produce a warmer, natural sound with strong clarity and fidelity.
- Gold-Plated Audio Jacks
- Backlit audio jacks save you from fumbling around in the dark.
- Switching MOSFETs
- This design allows the codec’s impedance-sensing function to be ported with either the front or rear headphone outputs.
- Sonic Radar
- Enjoy visualized audio detail that eliminates the need to crank up the volume. It’s a good tool for practice rounds and tuning untrained ears.
- Sonic Studio III
- Explore a range of EQ options and one-click presets that allow you to tailor acoustics to suit personal preferences or the characteristics of your audio device, and make use of the APO injection technology to apply your audio profiles to USB, HDMI, and Bluetooth gear.
- RAMCache III
- RAMCache turns milliseconds into microseconds to boost game-load times. Fully compatible with NVM Express storage options, its intelligent technology effectively caches an entire storage device so that favorite games and apps launch at fast speeds.
- Armoury Crate
- The Armoury Crate portal keeps you updated with drivers and BIOS releases. Its user-friendly UI can be configured to show a variety of information, including security updates, bug patches, ROG news, gaming events, and special offers.
Personalized for You
- With Aura Sync to unleash synchronized effects that extend from motherboard to a vast ecosystem of compatible components, the ROG Maximus XI Code is primed for virtually limitless personalization.
- Grow Your Gaming World
- Gear up with ROG components, from graphics and monitors, to mice and keyboards, and up your game with complementary aesthetics, control, and compatibility. The ROG ecosystem is extensive, so enjoy greater choice as your system expands.
The Power of Intel
- Ready for Socket 1151 for 9th / 8th Gen Intel Core, Pentium Gold, and Celeron Processors
- This motherboard supports Socket 1151 for 9th Gen and 8th Gen Intel Core, Pentium Gold, and Celeron processors, with integrated graphics, memory, and PCI Express controllers to support onboard graphics output with dedicated chipsets, dual-channel (4-DIMM) DDR4 memory, and 16 PCI Express 3.0/2.0 lanes for great performance.
- Intel Z390 Chipset
- The Intel Z390 is a single-chipset design that supports Socket 1151 for 9th Gen and 8th Gen Intel Core, Pentium Gold, and Celeron processors. It provides improved performance by utilizing serial point-to-point links, allowing increased bandwidth and stability. Additionally, the chipset provides a maximum of six USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports, four USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports, and 32 Gb/s M.2 and PCIe 3.0 lane speed support for faster data retrieval. Intel Z390 also supports integrated-graphics, so you’ll enjoy great graphics performance.