Powered by 2nd Generation Ryzen, Ryzen with Radeon Vega graphics, 1st Generation Ryzen, 7th Generation A-Series, and Athlon X4 processors, the Republic of Gamers Crosshair VII Hero AM4 ATX Motherboard from ASUS maximizes connectivity and speed with dual NVMe M.2 slots, 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.2, front panel USB 3.1 Gen 2, and Gigabit Ethernet. It is backed by 5-Way Optimization with Auto-Tuning and FanXpert 4, Aura Sync RGB lighting, a pre-mounted I/O shield, and 8-channel HD audio. This motherboard is designed to fit in ATX sized cases, supports the AM4 socket, the AMD X470 chipset, and is compatible with Windows 10 (64-bit).
The ATX form factor of the ROG Crosshair VII Hero can support up to 64GB of DDR4 RAM over four dual-channel slots, or 16GB per slot. The supported memory speeds include 3600 (OC), 3466 (OC), 3400 (OC), 3200 (OC), 3000 (OC), 2933 (OC), 2800 (OC), 2666, 2400, and 2133 MHz ECC and non-ECC unbuffered memory. For storage, there is one M.2 socket 3 with M key that supports 2242, 2260, 2280, and 22110 SATA and PCIe 3.0 x4 SSDs, while a second M.2 Socket 3 with M key slot supports 2242, 2260, and 2280 PCIe 3.0 x4 SSDs. Compatibility with traditional hard drives is included with six SATA III 6 Gb/s ports, which also support RAID 0, 1, and 10.
There is also one USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C port, one USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-A, port, eight USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A ports, and two USB 2.0 Type-A ports, all at the back panel, plus one USB 3.1 Gen connector that supports two ports and one USB 2.0 connector that supports three ports (one via the ROG_EXT header), all mid-board, and one USB 3.1 Gen 2 front panel connector. For those looking to expand their system using PCIe, there is one PCIe 3.0 x16/x8 slot, one PCIe 3.0 x8/x4 slot, one PCIe 2.0 x16/x4 slot, and two PCIe 2.0 x1 slots.
ASUS’ ROG Crosshair VII Hero does not support integrated graphics, meaning that users will need to purchase a dedicated and compatible graphics card of their choice. Once that card is installed, users will be able to enjoy multi-GPU support with NVIDIA 2-Way SLI and AMD 3-Way CrossFireX technologies. Using the 8-Channel ROG SupremeFX S1220 audio codec, this motherboard can support audio with higher fidelity than standard controllers, including 120 dB SNR playback output and 113 dB SNR recording input. Audio can be output using the five integrated 3.5mm audio jacks or the S/PDIF output.
ASUS’ Republic of Gamers Crosshair VII Hero AM4 ATX Motherboard is equipped with features such as AI Suite 3, RAMDisk, Sonic Studio III, Sonic Radar III, RAMCache II, and more. Included are four SATA III 6 Gb/s cables, two M.2 screw packages, an SLI HB Bridge (2-Way-M), an ROG big sticker, a Q-connector, an extension cable for RGB strips, an extension cable for addressable LEDs, and an ROG coaster. This motherboard is protected by a limited 3-year warranty.
Please note that specs for memory, M.2, PCIe, and multi-GPU support will vary depending on the installed processor.
DIY Friendly Design
- ROG Silkscreen Labels
- The ROG Crosshair VII Hero wears an informative silkscreen that makes it easy to identify native ports for your drives and peripherals, and also which PCI Express and memory slots to populate for strong system performance.
- ROG Crosshair VII Hero – The Hero Everyone Wants
- The ROG Crosshair VII Hero is an X470 gaming motherboard that conceals potent power, smarter cooling, and faster memory support under a stealthy skin. Loaded with ROG features, from one-click overclocking and cooling to Aura Sync illumination, it’s a solid foundation for your AMD Ryzen rig.
- Aura Sync
- ASUS Aura offers full RGB lighting control with a variety of functional presets for built-in RGB LEDs and for lighting strips connected to the onboard RGB headers. It can all be synced with an ever-growing portfolio of Aura-capable ASUS hardware.
- Aura Lighting Control
- ASUS Aura has evolved to be more user-friendly.
- Infinite Lighting Possibilities
- ASUS Aura SDK allows developers to take full advantage of the vast ecosystem of Aura Sync-capable PC gear. From in-system illumination to peripherals and beyond, the SDK provides an evolving toolkit of options to enhance games and software with RGB lighting. Game effects, alerts, and audio can all be conveyed via Aura-compatible hardware, creating subtle or dazzling visual cues to augment the action. There’s also scope to map system parameters to lighting, such as internal temperatures, handing you versatile new ways to monitor vital information.
- Aura Sync X Philips Hue
- ROG Crosshair VII Hero takes ASUS Aura into the home, and now it also lets you synchronize effects with Philips Hue personal wireless lighting. Easily control your Hue light bulbs, strips, and lamps from the simple Aura app, and create immersive illumination that extends beyond your rig to make the whole room part of your gaming experience.
- OC Design – Pro Clock Technology
- By default, all of Ryzen’s major bus frequencies are derived from the same reference clock, limiting the control and flexibility needed to harness the full overclocking potential of the platform. The ROG Crosshair VII Hero features a dedicated onboard clock generator that supplies dynamic reference clocks to the CPU cores and major subdomains, giving you the freedom to coax every MHz of headroom from the system.
- DDR4 Overclocking – Strength in Numbers
- Whether you’re gunning for high memory frequencies or tuning timings for the lowest latency, ROG Crosshair VII Hero provides the tools you need to exploit Ryzen’s latent potential. Carefully optimized trace pathways maintain signal integrity, and the ROG firmware offers the necessary tweaks to ensure stability while maximizing memory performance. Load up with a high-density memory kit for heavy multitasking, or run a focused setup that delivers the bandwidth your favorite games and applications need. Any way you stack it, the Hero has you covered.
- RAMCache II
- ROG’s intelligent technology effectively caches an entire storage device so that favorite games and apps launch at fast speeds, getting to work the moment it’s activated. RAMCache II turns milliseconds into microseconds to boost game-load times to higher levels.
- 5-Way Optimization – One-Click Overclocking and Cooling
- Take care of complex tuning with just one click. ASUS 5-Way Optimization makes your system smart by dynamically optimizing essential aspects of your system, providing overclocking and cooling profiles that are tailored for your rig.
- TurboV Processing Unit (TPU)
- Unleash your PC’s full performance potential with the ASUS AI Suite 3 utility. The TurboV Processing Unit (TPU) is the intelligence behind their automated system-tuning utility, offering the ability to fine-tune voltages, monitor system stats, and adjust overclocking.
- Energy Processing Unit (EPU)
- With the Energy Processing Unit (EPU), you’ll enjoy system-wide power savings. The EPU automatically optimizes power consumption and maximizes savings with Away mode—a smart setting that creates an extreme energy-saving scenario by shutting down unused I/O controllers.
- Fan Xpert 4
- ROG Crosshair VII Hero gives you comprehensive control over fans, water pumps, and all-in-one (AIO) coolers, via either Fan Expert 4 or the UEFI BIOS. Whether you’re cooling with air or water, Auto-Tuning mode intelligently configures all.
- Digi+ Power Control
- ROG’s Digi+ voltage-regulator module (VRM) delivers real-time control over voltage droop, switching frequency, and power-efficiency settings, allowing you to fine-tune CPU voltage regulation for ultimate stability and performance.
- ASUS Turbo Core App
- AMD’s processors feature per-core tuning, and the ASUS Turbo Core app makes use of this feature by letting you assign applications to specific processor cores, prioritizing computing power where it’s needed most.
- UEFI BIOS
- The ROG UEFI (BIOS) provides everything you need to configure, tweak, and tune your Ryzen-based rig. It offers intelligently simplified options for newcomers to PC DIY, as well as comprehensive features for seasoned veterans.
- EZ Mode
- Designed for easy setup, EZ Mode presents all the vital settings and stats on a single page. With guided wizards, drag and drop capability that takes the hassle out of complex tasks, and one-click convenience to apply important settings, your rig will be up and running in no time.
- Advanced Mode
- When you’re ready for a deeper dive into the configuration of your system, delve into the UEFI’s Advanced mode and take complete control. Each section is intuitively organized, and a built-in search feature makes it easy to find the options you need. Advanced functions are coded with the intelligence to adapt to your settings, and when you’re ready to take charge, parameters have the granularity to dial in performance just the way you want.
- Cooler by Design
- The ROG Crosshair VII Hero features comprehensive cooling controls, configurable via Fan Xpert 4 or the UEFI BIOS.
- Multiple Temperature Sources
- Each header can be set to monitor and react to three user-configurable thermal sensors for workload-based cooling. And all settings can be easily managed by Fan Xpert 4 or UEFI.
- Water Pump+
- A dedicated header that can supply over 3A to high-performance PWM or DC water pumps.
- 4-Pin PWM/DC Fan
- Every onboard header supports auto-detection of PWM or DC fans.
- Fan Extension Header
- Allows expansion of three additional DC or PWM fan headers, plus three thermal-probe headers.
- Smart Protection
- A dedicated circuit protects each fan header from over-temperature and over-current.
- Water In/Out
- Allows for monitoring of temperature at the input/out of any component.
- Water Flow
- Allows for constant monitoring of the flow rate of entire loop.
- AIO Pump
- A dedicated PWM/DC header for self-contained water-cooling setups.
- ROG’s SupremeFX audio technology has improved, delivering a 113 dB signal-to-noise ratio on the line-in connection to provide high recording quality. They’ve also added a low-dropout regulator for cleaner power delivery to the SupremeFX S1220 codec, an ESS Sabre Hi-Fi ES9023P digital-to-analog converter for improved front-panel output, and a Texas Instruments RC4580 op amp for high gain with low distortion.
- S1220 Codec
- 10 DAC channels, simultaneous 7.1-channel playback, independent 2.0-channel, multiple-stream stereo to front panel outputs.
- ESS Sabre RE9023P DAC
- Creates a good balance for top-tier audio clarity capable of -112 dB THD.
- Nichicon Caps
- Japanese-made components produce a warmer, more natural sound with good clarity and fidelity.
- Gold-Plated Audio Jacks
- Backlit audio jacks save you from fumbling around in the dark.
- Switching MOSFETs
- A unique design allows the codec’s impedance-sensing function to be ported with either the front or rear headphone outputs.
- Sonic Studio III
- Sonic Studio supports HRTF-based (head-related transfer function) virtual surround for VR headsets, casting an immersive aural landscape that draws you deeper into the action. The intuitive Sonic Studio interface also offers a range of EQ options and one-click presets, allowing you to tailor acoustics to suit personal preferences or the characteristics of your headset.
- App-Specific Profiles
- Apply customized audio settings to different applications, so everything you do is tuned to the way you want to listen.
- Surround Sound
- Surround sound delivers a truly immersive audio experience.
- Sonic Studio Link
- Sonic Studio Link VR functionality extends its HRTF effects to headsets like the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive.
- Sonic Radar III
- Sonic Radar III audio engine processes sounds more accurately, so you’re always aware of what’s going on around you. Use the on-screen arrow to hone your enemy-pinpointing skills, and enjoy visualized audio detail that eliminates the need to crank up the volume. It’s a good tool for practice rounds and tuning untrained ears.
- Improved Audio Algorithm
- The Sonic Radar audio algorithm is now even more accurate to allow enemies to be pinpointed with greater accuracy.
- 3D Engine
- Sonic Radar III is built around its HUD with an in-game 3-dimensional arrow for a more intuitive experience.
- Audio Boost
- The Audio Boost feature now allows the boosted audio to be heard directly.
- Audio Radar
- Sonic Radar 3 is effective regardless of surrounding noise and chaos.
ROG Gives You More
- GameFirst IV
- GameFirst IV optimizes network traffic for faster, lag-free online gaming. Multi-Gate Teaming brings together all your networks to create a great amount of bandwidth and smooth gameplay. You’ll also enjoy Intelligent Mode, which automatically compiles a database to ensure that games are optimized for performance.
- Overwolf – Stay in the Game
- Overwolf is an unobtrusive overlay that keeps you in the game and allows you to browse the web, email, IM, stream, or record while you play. The overlay features color-matched ROG skins that show you’re part of an elite pack. Grab it now from the Overwolf App Store.
- AI Suite 3
- One-stop control panel.
- ROG Theme CPU-Z
- Shows your important system information with pride.
- Mem TweakIt
- Dynamic timing, monitoring, and a DRAM efficiency gauge.
- Boost your favorite applications up to 20x faster than SSDs with the junction function.
The Power of AMD
- AM4 Socket
- The AM4 socket is compatible with AMD Ryzen 2nd Generation, Ryzen with Radeon Vega Graphics, Ryzen 1st Generation, 7th Generation A Series, and Athlon X4 processors. The high-performance Ryzen processor supports up to 8 cores and is based on Zen core architecture. The 7th Generation A Series APUs feature integrated AMD Radeon R Series graphics. AMD AM4 socket processor feature dual-channel DDR4 memory, native 5 Gb/s USB 3.1 Gen 1, and 16 PCI Express 3.0/2.0 lanes.
- AMD X470 Chipset
- The AMD X470 chipset delivers overclocking capabilities for the AMD AM4 socket Ryzen processors, 7th Generation A Series APUs, and Athlon CPUs. It is optimized for multiple GPU configurations, including NVDIA SLI and AMD CrossFireX. It also provides two 10 Gb/s USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports and six SATA III 6 Gb/s ports for faster data retrieval.